Severe Traumatic Brain Injury and Ventriculoperitoneal shunt challenges: Case report
Cunha Lucie; Valente Adelaide Clode; Gordinho Marcelo; Pereira Maria Eduarda
Doctor in traqning,Gynecology / Obstetrics. PERIOD: Period 4. INSTITUTION: Hospital São João
*Abdalla Samir Nouh, Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority (EAEA), Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt.
Figure 1: Head CT scan showing from left to right Hydrocephalus; paradoxical brain Herniation; cranioplasty with no complications associated.
The use of programmable shunt devices offers many advantages because of their adjustable-pressure valve systems.4 Still, the regulating pressure device used in this case had only five ranges available and this difficulted the patient’s management, who developed either Hydrocephalus at position 5 or paradoxical brain Herniation at position4.
- Fearnside MR, Cook RJ, McDougall P, et al. The Westmead Head Injury Project outcome in severe head injury. A comparative analysis of pre-hospital, clinical, and CT variables. BR J Neurosurg. 1993;7:267-79.
- Menon DK, Schwab K, Wright DW, Maas AI, Demographics and Clinical Assessment Working Group of the International and Interagency Initiative toward Common Data Elements for Research on Traumatic Brain Injury and Psychological Health. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010;91(11):1637.
- GBD 2016 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Collaborators. Global, regional, and national burden of traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
- Lancet Neurol 2019; 18:56.
- Dewan MC, Rattani A, Gupta S, et al. Estimating the global incidence of traumatic brain injury. J Neurosurg 2018; :1.
- Menon DK, Schwab K, Wright DW, et al. Position statement: definition of traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2010; 91:1637.
- Zemack G, Romner B. Do adjustable shunt valves pressure our budget? A retrospective analysis of 541 implanted Codman Hakim programmable valves. Br J Neurosurg 2001;15:221–7.
- Reinprecht A, Czech T, Dietrich W. Clinical experience with a new pressureadjustable shunt valve. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1995; 134:119-24.