Bilateral Aspergillosis endogenous endophthalmitis in post COVID-19 recovered patient; A clinical case report
Mohammad Karim Johari MD, Zahra Zia* MD, MPH
Department of Ophthalmology, Poostchi Ophthalmology Research Center, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
*Zahra Zia, MD, Department of Ophthalmology, Poostchi Ophthalmology Research Center, School of
Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Figure 1: Right eye: Extensive confluent yellowish intraretinal and subretinal collections in inferior arcade involving foveal region, left eye: the same lesion with surrounding sub-retinal turbid fluid was seen in the temporal area of macula extended to fovea at presentation (A) and five days later (B)
Figure 2: OCT of both eyes revealed intraretinal and subretinal hyper-reflective materials with mild intraretinal and subretinal fluid (SRF), which disrupted macular structure at presentation (A) and five days later (B)
Figure 3: Fundus fluorescein angiography of the right eye (A) and left eye (B) revealed early hyper fluorescence due to vascular leakage around lesions
Figure 4: Fundus photo after eight weeks of starting oral antifungal therapy showing the subretinal lesions' size and SRF reduced significantly and scar formation(A) OCT of both eyes revealed irregular macular atrophy, especially in the left eye without SRF(B)
Table 1: Demographic details, ocular and microbiological results, treatment aspects, and consequences in Aspergillosis endogenous endophthalmitis in post-COVID-19 patients have been reported to date.
- Fu L, Wang B, Yuan T, Chen X, Ao Y, Fitzpatrick T, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J. Infect.,. 2020;80(6):656-65.
- Shah KK, Venkatramani D, Majumder PD. A case series of presumed fungal endogenous endophthalmitis in post COVID-19 patients. Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2021;69(5):1322.
- Bilgic A, Sudhalkar A, Gonzalez-Cortes JH, de Ribot FM, Yogi R, Kodjikian L, et al. Endogenous endophthalmitis in the setting of COVID-19 infection: a case series. Retina. 2021;41(8):1709-14.
- Sahu ES, Lahoti K, Bhargava A, Subhedar V, Sahu A. Subretinal Aspergillus Abscess in Post COVID-19 Recovered Patients–An Emerging Problem. Ocul. Immunol. Inflamm. 2021:1-7.
- Shroff D, Narula R, Atri N, Chakravarti A, Gandhi A, Sapra N, et al. Endogenous fungal endophthalmitis following intensive corticosteroid therapy in severe COVID-19 disease. Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2021;69(7):1909.
- Khoshnood S, Arshadi M, Akrami S, Koupaei M, Ghahramanpour H, Shariati A, et al. An overview on inactivated and live‐attenuated SARS‐CoV‐2 vaccines. J. Clin. Lab. Anal. 2022;36(5):e24418.
- Pillai GS, Remadevi KK, Anilkumar V, Radhakrishnan N, Rasheed R, Ravindran GC. Clinical profile and outcome of endogenous endophthalmitis at a quaternary referral centre in south India. Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2020;68(5):827.
- Agarwal A. Commentary: Fungal endophthalmitis–Newer insights into the diagnosis and management. Indian J. Ophthalmol. 2022;70(3):777-8.
- Modjtahedi BS, Finn AV, Papakostas TD, Durand M, Husain D, Eliott D. Intravenous drug use–associated endophthalmitis. Ophthalmol. Retina. 2017;1(3):192-9.
- Sowmya P, Madhavan HN. Diagnostic utility of polymerase chain reaction on intraocular specimens to establish the etiology of infectious endophthalmitis. Eur. J. Ophthalmol.. 2009;19(5):812-7.
- Dave VP, Pappuru RR, Pathengay A, Gupta R, Joseph J, Sharma S, et al. Aspergillus endophthalmitis: clinical presentations and factors determining outcomes. Asia-Pac. J. Ophthalmol. (Philadelphia, Pa). 2020;9(1):9.
- Riddell Iv J, McNeil SA, Johnson TM, Bradley SF, Kazanjian PH, Kauffman CA. Endogenous Aspergillus endophthalmitis: report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Medicine. 2002;81(4):311-20.