Aetiologies and outcomes of Abdomino-Pelvic surgical Mergencies at iten county referral Hospital, Kenya
Department of surgery, Iten county referral hospital, Elgeyo marakwet county,Kenya
*Shazim Harunani,Department of surgery, Iten county referral hospital, Elgeyo marakwet county, Kenya
Children(0-18yrs) comprised 12 (22.64%) out of the 53 patients. Majority of patients were young adults(20-50 years)(n=22, 41.5%) followed by elderly(n=18, 33.96%).
The male to female ratio was 2.53:1.
The aetiologies were identified and are shown in figure 1 and 2 below.
Figure 1: Traumatic vs non traumatic distribution
Majority of the cases were non-traumatic(n=50, 94.3%)
Figure 2 : aetiologies in adults and children
Intestinal obstruction (n=37, 69.8%) was the most common aetiology of abdomino-pelvic surgical emergencies, followed by peritonitis (n=9, 16.98%). The most common cause of intestinal obstruction was hernias (n=10) in both adults and children. The most common cause of peritonitis was perforated/ruptured appendix (n=4).
Table 2: Outcomes
All the mortalities and morbidities were in patients with intestinal obstruction.
- Nyundo, E. Rugwizangoga, G. Ntakiyiruta, I. Kakande. Outcome of Emergency Abdominal Surgery at Kigali University Teaching Hospital: A review of 229 cases. East and Central African Journal of Surgery ,2013;18 (1),31-39
- Paterson-Brown S . A Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice. Emergency Surgery and Critical Care. London, WB Saunders.1997.
- Abdulmohsen A. Emergency general admissions. Prospective institutional experience in non traumatic acute abdomen: implications for Education, Training and Service. Saudi Med J.2006;27(11),1674-1679
- Samuel J., McConkey M.B. Case Series of Acute Abdominal Surgery in Rural Sierra Leone.World J. Surg .2002;26, 509–513
- Harunani S, Imbaya K, Kuremu T . Aetiologies and Outcomes of Non-traumatic Abdominal Surgical Emergencies in Children at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Kenya.The annals of african surgery.2020; 17 ( 1),3-6
- Mbah, N.; Opara, W .Waiting time among acute abdominal emergencies in a Nigerian teaching hospital: causes of delay and consequences. Nigerian Journal of Surgical Reseach.2006; 8, 69-73
- Fomaro R, Stabilini C, Picori E, Frascio M, Ricci B, Canaletti M. Abdominal emergency surgery in the geriatric patients. Our experience. G Chir.2006;27(4),137-144
- Kitara D. L, Kakande I., Mugisa B.D. POSSUM System in patients undergoing laparotomy in Mulago Hospital. East and Central African Journal of Surgery.2007;12(2),66-69
- Gajjar R, Gupta P.B. Verma D, Goudal B . Pattern and Presentation of Non-Traumatic Acute Abdominal Pain to an Emergency Department of a Tertiary Care Hospital. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research .2017;7(5)32-36
- Malviya A . A comprehensive study on acute non-traumatic abdominal emergencies .Int Surg J.2017;4(7):2297-2302
- Marincek B . Non-traumatic abdominal emergencies: acute abdominal pain: diagnostic strategies. European Radiol.2012;12(9):2136-2150
- S P Agbo, M Oboirien, S Ismail .Pattern of surgical abdominal emergencies in sokoto, Nigeria. Jos Journal of Medicine. 2012;6 (1):22-25
- Anisur Rahman . Evaluation of Pattern of Abdominal Surgical Emergencies.SAS J Surg.2020;6(10): 337-343
- Harunani S, Kuremu T. Intestinal obstruction in the pediatric age group at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Kenya. East african medical journal.2019;96(3)
- Lebeau R, Kassi FB Yenon SK, Diane CB, Kouassi JC . Strangulated groin hernia still frequent in tropical milieu. Rev Med Brux.2011;32(3): 133-138
- Pomata M. Small bowel obstruction caused by postoperative adhesions: personal experience and review of the literature. Chir Italy.2006;58(4): 449-458.
- Arshad MM, Madiha S, Rafique P, Kirshan S . Pattern of acute intestinal obstruction: Is there a change in the underlying Etiology? Saudi J. Gastroenterol.2010; 16(4): 272-274
- Gachini, J .Pattern, management and outcome of intestinal obstruction at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.thesis moi uni.2015.
- Arenal J. J., Bengoechea-Beeby M. Mortality associated with emergency abdominal surgery in the elderly. Can. J. Surg. 2003;46,(2): 111-116
- Kitara D. L, Kakande I., Mugisa B.D. POSSUM System in patients undergoing laparotomy in Mulago Hospital. East and Central African Journal of Surgery.2007; 12(2)