A Novel method of Bolus application in Hyperthermia of very extended Superficial Tumors
Department of Radiation-Oncology Lindenhofspital Bern, Switzerland
*M. Notter, Department of Radiation-Oncology Lindenhofspital Bern, Switzerland
Figure 1 : Preheated adaptive bolus to maintain elevated surface temperatures after superficial hyperthermia during transfer to the RT-treatment room
Table 1 : Comparison of gelatinous bolus material (PBo) and novel bullshit material (PBBo) in different clinical situations
*: procedure of cleaning/sterilisizing following product information
- Overgaard, J. Simultaneous and sequential hyperthermia and radiation treatment of an experimental tumor and its surrounding normal tissue in vivo. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 1980, 6, 1507–1517
- . Crezee, A. L. Oei, N. A. P. Franken, L. J. A. Stalpers, and H. P. Kok, "Response to: The Impact of the Time Interval between Radiation and Hyperthermia on Clinical Outcome in Patients with Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer," Front Oncol 2020, vol. 10, p. 528
- van Leeuwen, C.M.; Oei, A.L.; Chin, K.W.T.K.; Crezee, J.; Bel, A.; Westermann, A.M.; Buist, M.R.; Franken, N.A.P.; Stalpers, L.J.A.; Kok, H.P. A short time interval between radiotherapy and hyperthermia reduces in-field recurrence and mortality in women with advanced cervical cancer. Radiat. Oncol. 2017, 12, 75.
- Notter, M.; Piazena, H.; Vaupel, P. Hypofractionated re-irradiation of large-sized re-current breast cancer with thermography-controlled, contact-free water-filtered infrared-A hyperthermia: A retrospective study of 73 patients. Int. J. Hyperth. 2017, 33(2), 227-236.
- Kroesen M., Mulder HT., van Holthe JML., Aangeenbrug AA., Mens JWM., van Doorn HC., et al: The effect of the time interval between radiation and hyperthermia on clinical outcome in 400 locally advanced cervical carcinoma patients. Front. Oncol 2019, 9;134, doi: 10.3389/fonc.2019.00134
- Sengedorj, A.; Hader, M.;Heger, L.; Frey, B.; Dudziak, D.; Fietkau, R.; Ott, O.J.; Scheidegger, S.; Barba, S.M.; Gaipl, U.S.; et al. The Effect of Hyperthermia and Radiotherapy Sequence on Cancer Cell Death and the Immune Phenotype of Breast Cancer Cells. Cancers 2022, 14, 2050. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers14092050
- Notter, M.; Thomsen, A.R.; Nitsche, M.; Hermann; R.M.; Wolff, H.; Habl, G.; Münch, K.; Grosu, A.L.; Vaupel, P. Combined wIRA-hyperthermia and hypofractionated re-irradiation in the treatment of locally recurrent breast cancer: Evaluation of therapeutic outcome based on a novel size classification. Cancers 2020, 12, 606.
- Van Der Gaag, M.L.; De Bruijne, M.; Samaras, T.; Van Der Zee, J.; Van Rhoon, G.C. Development of a guideline for the water bolus temperature in superficial hyperthermia. Int. J. Hyperth. 2006, 22, 637–656.
- Hogstrom K.R. and Peter R Almond P.R.:. Review of electron beam therapy physics. Phys.Med. Biol. 2006; 51, R455
- Trefna HD, Creeze H, Schmidt M et al.: Quality assurance guidelines for superficial hyperthermia clinical trials: I. Clinical requirements. Int J Hyperthermia 2017, 33: 471-82.
- Dobsicek Trefna H, Crezee J, Schmidt M. et al.: Quality assurance guidelines for superficial hyperthermia clinical trials: II.Technical requirements for heating devices. Strahlenther Onkol 2017, 193: 351-66.