Post-Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pneumothorax
Anna Rossa Magda S. Cuerdo, MD; Jose Edzel V. Tamayo, FPCP, FPCCP; Gener A. Idor, MD
Perpetual Help Medical Center - Las Pinas; Section of Pulmonary Medicine
*Anna Rossa S. Cuerdo, MD; Gener A. Idor, MD ,Perpetual Help Medical Center - Las Pinas; Section of Pulmonary Medicine
Figure 1 : Initial Chest Radiograph: Noted area of lucency devoid of lung markings is seen in the right lateral hemithorax, with faint medical vertical linear margin
Figure 2 : Chest CT findings (done on same day of initial Chest-Xray) were moderate amount of pneumothorax, right. Peripheral patchy reticular and hazy densities with areas of consolidation in both lungs. Findings are commonly reported features of COVID-19 pneumonia.
Figure 3 : Repeat Chest Radiograph: Noted decrease in the right-sided pneumothorax, now estimated at approximately 5-10%.
- Martinelli, A. W. (2020, November 1). COVID-19 and pneumothorax: a multicentre retrospective case series. European Respiratory Society. https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/56/5/2002697
- Umar Shahzad, M., Han, J., Ramtoola, M. I., Lamprou, V., & Gupta, U. (2021). Spontaneous Tension Pneumothorax as a Complication of COVID-19. Case Reports in Medicine, 2021, 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/4126861
- Al-Shokri, S. D., Ahmed, A. O. E., Saleh, A. O., AbouKamar, M., Ahmed, K., & Mohamed, M. F. H. (2020). Case Report: COVID-19–Related Pneumothorax—Case Series Highlighting a Significant Complication. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 103(3), 1166–1169. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.200713
- Zantah, M., Dominguez Castillo, E., Townsend, R., Dikengil, F., & Criner, G. J. (2020). Pneumothorax in COVID-19 disease- incidence and clinical characteristics. Respiratory Research, 21(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12931-020-01504-y
- Ayazi, S., Zebarjadi, J., Grubic, A. D., Tahmasbi, H., Ayazi, K., & Jobe, B. A. (2020). Pneumothorax as the presenting manifestation of COVID-19. Journal of Thoracic Disease, 12(12), 7488–7493. https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd-20-1687
- Marzocchi, G., Vassallo, A., & Monteduro, F. (2021). Spontaneous pneumothorax as a delayed complication after recovery from COVID-19. BMJ Case Reports, 14(5), e243578. https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2021243578