Massive volume overload with severe pulmonary edema during hysteroscopy: a case report
D.Milovanovica1,2, F. Fiedler1*
1Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, St. Elisabeth Hospital, Cologne, Germany
2Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
*F.Fiedler, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, St. Elisabeth Hospital, Cologne, Germany
Figure 1: Chest X-ray reveals pulmonary edema after ICU admission
After 24h of fully controlled mechanical ventilation and 6800ml of diuresis the sedation medication was terminated and the patient extubated uneventfully. No further ventilation support or vasoactive medication was required. The patient recovered in the matter of 72 hours and was discharged from the hospital on the day 7 with a mild arterial hypertension, that was treated by Hydrochlorthiazide 25mg a day.
- AAGL Practice Report: Practice Guidelines for the Management of Hysteroscopic Distending Media (2012). The Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 20(2): 137-148.
- Bradley LD(2002) Complications in hysteroscopy: prevention, treatment and legal risk. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol.14(4):409-15.
- Drummer C, Gerzer R, Heer M, Molz B, Bie P, Schlossberger M, Stadaeger C, Röcker L, Strollo F, Heyduck B, et al.(1992) Effects of an acute saline infusion on fluid and electrolyte metabolism in humans. Am J Physiol. 262(5):744-54
- Hilbert T, Boehm O, Pflugmacher R et al (2014) Seltene Komplikation der endoskopischen Nukleotomie. Anaesthesist 63:41-46
- Hsieh MH, Chen TL, Lin YH, Chang CC, Lin CS, Lee YW. (2008) Acute pulmonary edema from unrecognized high irrigation pressure in hysteroscopy: a report of two cases. J Clin Anesth. 20(8):614-7.
- Navdeep S, Ravindra C, Krishna K.(2012) Operative hysteroscopy intravascular absorption syndrome: A bolt from the blue. Indian J Anaesth. 56(2):179–182
- Parisa G, Mitra Y, Javad A.(2010) Abdominal Compartment Syndrome and Pulmonary Edema in Hysteroscopy Resection of Uterine Septum. Bras. J. Video-Sur. 3(4):209-211
- Schafer M, von Ungern-Sternberg BS, Wight E, Schneider MC (2005) Isotonis fluid absorption during hysteroscopy resulting in severe hyperchoremic acidosis.Anesthesiology 103:203-204
- Witz CA, Silverberg KM, Burns WN, Schenken RS, Olive DL(1993) Complications associated with the absorption of hysteroscopic fluid media. Fertil Steril 60(5):745-56
- Youn Yi Jo, Hyun Joo Jeon, Yong-Seon Choi (2011) Extreme hyponatremia with moderate metabolic acidosis during hysteroscopic myomectomy -A case report. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology 60(6):440-443