Acute kidney injury following exposure to a formaldehyde –free hair straightening products
Nabil Abu-Amer 1, MD, Natalie Silberstein 2, MD, Margarita Kunin 1, MD, Sharon Mini 1, MD, Pazit Beckerman 1, MD
1Institute of Nephrology and Hypertension, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler
2School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
*Dr. Nabil Abu-Amer, MD,Institute of Nephrology and Hypertension Sheba Medical Center Tel Hashomer, Israel 52621, Tel. 972-3-5302581, FAX 972-3- 5302582
Figure 1: Bilateral enlarged kidneys (14.4 cm) with echogenic, edematous parenchyma.
Figure 2: Kidney core biopsy: Hematoxylin and eosin staining;
A: Glomeruli were normo-cellular and without signs of active glomerular disease (arrow heads), tubules showed signs of diffuse tubular injury (black arrow) and tubules contained oxalate crystals (blue arrow).
B:The interstitium showed edema associated with multifocal mixed inflammatory infiltration with multiple eosinophils and foci of tubulitis.
C:There was one epithelioid granuloma.
D:Tubules contained oxalate crystals (blue arrow) observed under polarized light-microscopy. Immunofluorescence analysis revealed C3 1+ in blood vessel walls only.
- Vormann MK, Gijzen L, Hutter S, Boot L, Nicolas A, van den Heuvel A et al. Nephrotoxicity and kidney transport assessment on 3D perfused proximal tubules. AAPS J. 2018;20:90
- Frazier KS, Obert LA. Drug-induced glomerulonephritis: The spectre of biotherapeutic and antisense oligonucleotide immune activation in the kidney. Toxicol Pathol. 2018;46:904–17
- Perazella MA. Drug-induced nephropathy: an update. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2005;4(4):689–706.
- Schnedler N, Burckhardt G, Burckhardt BC. Glyoxylate is a substrate of the sulfate-oxalate exchanger, sat-1, and increases its expression in HepG2 cells. J Hepatol. 2011 Mar;54(3):513-20.
- Starr TB, Gibson JE. The Mechanistic Toxicology of Formaldehyde and Its Implications for Quantitative Risk-Estimation. Annu Rev Pharmacol. 1985;25:745-67.
- Dong S, Dasgupta PK. Solubility of Gaseous Formaldehyde in Liquid Water and Generation of Trace Standard Gaseous Formaldehyde. Environ Sci Technol. 1986 Jun;20(6):637-40.
- Board on environmental studies and toxicology. Report highlights. Review of the Formaldehyde Assessment in the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcinogens. August 2014. Retrieved from: https://www.nap.edu/resource/18948/formaldehyde-report-highlights-Final2.pdf; and Board on environmental studies and toxicology. Report highlights. Review of the Formaldehyde Assessment in the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcinogens. August 2014. Retrieved from: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/18948/review-of-the-formaldehyde-assessment-in-thenational-toxicology-program-12th-report-on-carcinogens. Both accessed on18.10.20
- Pierce JS, Abelmann A, Spicer LJ, Adams RE, Glynn ME, Neier K, et al. Characterization of Formaldehyde Exposure Resulting from the Use of Four Professional Hair Straightening Products. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2011;8(11):686-99.
- Monakhova YB, Kuballa T, Mildau G, Kratz E, Keck-Wilhelm A, Tschiersch C, et al. Formaldehyde in hair straightening products: Rapid 1H NMR determination and risk assessment. Int J Cosmetic Sci. 2013 Apr;35(2):201-6.
- Aglan MA, Mansour GN. Hair straightening products and the risk of occupational formaldehyde exposure in hairstylists. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2020 Sep 2;43(5):488-95.
- Peteffi GP, Antunes MV, Carrer C, Valandro ET, Santos S, Glaeser J, et al. Environmental and biological monitoring of occupational formaldehyde exposure resulting from the use of products for hair straightening. Environ Sci Pollut R. 2016 Jan;23(1):908-17.
- Boj JR, Marco I, Cortés O, Canalda C. The acute nephrotoxicity of systemically administered formaldehyde in rats. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2003;4(1):16-20.
- Inker LA, Astor BC, Fox CH, Isakova T, Lash JP, Peralta CA, et al. KDOQI US Commentary on the 2012 KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014 May;63(5):713-35.
- Ahmed HM, El-Attat SH, Ismail W. Acute Kidney Injury Following Usage of Formaldehyde-Free Hair Straightening Products. Iran J Kidney Dis. 2019 Mar;13(2):129-31.
- Mitler A, Houri S, Shriber L, Dalal I, Kaidar-Ronat M. Recent use of formaldehyde-'free' hair straightening product and severe acute kidney injury. Clin Kidney J. 2021 May;14(5):1469-71.
- Anderson SE, Ham JE, Munson AE. Irritancy and sensitization potential of glyoxylic acid. J Immunotoxicol. 2008 Apr-Jun;5(2):93-8.
- Boga C, Taddei P, Micheletti G, Ascari F, Ballarin B, Morigi M, et al. Formaldehyde replacement with glyoxylic acid in semipermanent hair straightening: a new and multidisciplinary investigation. Int J Cosmetic Sci. 2014 Oct;36(5):459-70.