A contemporary clinical reasoning and multi-dimensional approach of Lower back pain management
Sarma S.T1* and Thiruvarangan S2
1,2Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
*Dr.Sarma S.T,Consultant Surgeon and Senior Lecturer,Department of Surgery Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna,Sri Lanka
Figure 1: Lower Back Pain Clinical-Decision Making Process 
Figure 2: Biopsychological model for chronic musculoskeletal pain
- Wong AY, Karppinen J, Samartzis D. Low back pain in older adults: risk factors, management options and future directions. Scoliosis Spinal Disord. 2017;12:14-16.
- Balagué F, Mannion AF, Pellisé F, Cedraschi C. Non-specific low back pain. Lancet. 2012 ;7:482–91.
- Dueñas M, Ojeda B, Salazar A, Mico JA, Failde I. A review of chronic pain impact on patients, their social environment and the health care system. J Pain Res. 2016;9:457–67.
- Delitto A, George SZ, Van Dillen L, Whitman JM, Sowa G, Shekelle P, et al.; Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. Low back pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012;42:51–57.
- Varrassi G, Moretti B, Pace MC, Evangelista P, Iolascon G. Common Clinical Practice for Low Back Pain Treatment: A Modified Delphi Study. Pain Ther. 2021;10:589-604.
- Barros G, McGrath L, Gelfenbeyn M. Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in Patients with Low Back Pain. Federal practitioner: for the health care professionals of the VA. DoD, and PHS. 2019;6:370–5.
- Simula AS, Malmivaara A, Booth N, Karppinen J. A classification-based approach to low back pain in primary care - protocol for a benchmarking controlled trial. BMC Fam Pract. 2020 ;21:61.
- Dansie EJ, Turk DC. Assessment of patients with chronic pain. Br J Anaesth. 2013 ;11:19–25.
- Casiano VE, Sarwan G, Dydyk AM, Varacallo M. Back Pain. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing; 2022.
- Enthoven WT, Geuze J, Scheele J, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Bueving HJ, Bohnen AM, et al. Prevalence and “Red Flags” Regarding Specified Causes of Back Pain in Older Adults Presenting in General Practice. Phys Ther. 2016;9:305-12.
- Diallo SY, Mweu MM, Mbuya SO, Mwanthi MA. Prevalence and risk factors for low back pain among university teaching staff in Nairobi, Kenya: a cross-sectional study. F1000 Res. 2019;8:80-8.
- Refshauge KM, Maher CG. Low back pain investigations and prognosis: a review. Br J Sports Med. 2006 ;40:494–8.
- Vrbanić TS. Low back pain--from definition to diagnosis. Reumatizam. 2011;58:105–7.
- Petersen T, Laslett M, Juhl C. Clinical classification in low back pain: best-evidence diagnostic rules based on systematic reviews. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:188.
- Thiruvarangan S, Srigrishna P, Thileebphan B. A trial of conservative care for restoring scapular dyskinesis. A clinical series. Journal of Novel Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation. 2020;4:11–5.
- Ravishankar K. The art of history-taking in a headache patient. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2012;15:7–14.
- Moloney RD, O’Mahony SM, Dinan TG, Cryan JF. Stress-induced visceral pain: toward animal models of irritable-bowel syndrome and associated comorbidities. Front Psychiatry. 2015;6:15.
- Meints, S. M., & Edwards, R. R. Evaluating psychosocial contributions to chronic pain outcomes. Progress in neuro-psychopharmacology & biological psychiatry.2018; 8:168–182.
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Advancing Pain Research, Care, and Education. The National Academies Collection. Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research. Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 2011.
- NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation. Management of people with acute low back pain: model of care.(2016) Chatswood; NSW Health,39.
- George SZ, Bishop MD. Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain is a Nervous System Disorder Now What? Phys Ther. 2018;98(4):209–13.
- Louw A, Zimney K, Puentedura EJ, Diener I. The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review of the literature. Physiother Theory Pract. 2016;32(5):332–55.
- Nakao M. Somatic manifestation of distress: clinical medicine, psychological and public health perspectives. Biopsychosoc Med. 2017;11(1):33.